Planning a family vacation to Florida is always exciting because there are many wonderful things to do. Whether going to the theme parks or hitting the beach, you’ll have a great time. However, the weather is always a major consideration. Temperatures in Florida can skyrocket in summer, so visiting in September is ideal.
September is on the cusp of summer and fall weather in many locations. Since Florida is the Sunshine State, you might expect bright sun and warm weather even in September.
Read on to find out what to expect regarding Florida weather in September.
Florida Weather in September
It’s the most southeastern state in the United States, putting it close to the Tropic of Cancer. This location means you should expect warm temperatures even when it’s fall or winter in other areas of the country. You’re sure to get sunny weather and warm temperatures in Florida, even in September. Knowing the forecast terms can help you understand what to expect.
Florida has a subtropical climate meaning it has high temperatures in every season. The average low temperatures in Florida are in the low 70s. The highs can reach 90℉, even in September. There’s an 80% chance of humidity, too, making the temperature seem even higher.
There’s a lot of variety in the average temperature of cities across Florida. Here are a few of the average highs and lows of some of the most popular tourist destinations:
- Daytona Beach: 88℉ high, 72℉ low
- Key West: 88℉ high, 79℉ low
- Miami: 86℉, 78℉ low
- Orlando: 90℉ high, 72℉ low
- Pensacola: 87℉ high, 70℉ low
- Tampa: 89℉ high, 74℉ low
Since Florida is warm year-round, the water is still warm enough for swimming in September. Your family can enjoy time out in the Atlantic Ocean or the Gulf of Mexico, depending on where in Florida you’re visiting. These large bodies of water have an average temperature of 80℉ in September. You can also dip into lakes and ponds without getting too cold.
This constant heat can be good because the water is always temperate, and you’re more likely to have sunny days instead of gloomy weather. However, the days are long, with sunlight warming the ground for at least nine hours. That means the lows never get too low, even at night.
Florida rainfall can be unpredictable. It’s rare to have a day completely ruined due to rain. However, there’s a chance of rain on many days, but it won’t last long.
Meteorologists classify a wet day as one that gets 0.04 inches of precipitation. Rain during the summer can be a sudden downpour, but it clears up quickly. In September, the likelihood of that type of rain can range from 41% to 59%.
Having a bit of rain on several days of your vacation isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Your family might enjoy the brief respite from the heat when there’s a short rain shower. You can spend some time relaxing inside before getting back to the action. If you plan ahead, you can schedule your indoor activities for rainy days or times.
Overall, there’s about a 38% chance of days with total sunshine in September. You’ll have a 62% chance of slightly cloudy days. Florida weather in September can result in rainfall of anywhere from 5 to 10 inches of rain for the entire month.
September is hurricane season in Florida. This weather can form in the Atlantic Ocean or the Gulf of Mexico, so Florida can get it from all directions. The potential for a hurricane shouldn’t keep you from traveling to Florida, though. Just keep an eye on the weather and know what type of conditions the meteorologists are forecasting.
If you’re worried about being able to reach your destination in case of hurricanes, you can purchase insurance for your flights. You can also book hotels that have a hurricane guarantee. Most Florida hotels offer this to encourage tourism in the off-season. That means if you can’t make the trip because of hurricanes, you’ll get your money back.
What to Pack for Florida in September
To dress appropriately for Florida weather in September, you want to bring plenty of summer clothes. T-shirts, tank tops, and short sleeves are best to wear. Shorts, skirts, and dresses will help you stay cool.
You might want to wear sandals or flip-flops to keep your feet cool but bring walking shoes too. Depending on your plans, you might prefer to wear socks and sneakers. For example, it isn’t too comfortable to wear flip-flops when walking around Disney World.
Cities in northern Florida will get a bit chillier at night, so you might want a light jacket if you’re visiting those areas. In many cases, just a long-sleeved shirt or sweater is enough to keep you warm. If you’re traveling with children, it’s always best to pack many light layers instead of one heavier coat or sweater. You can always take off layers to help them stay just warm enough.
For people visiting southern Florida cities, you won’t really need a jacket or long sleeves. If you get cool easily, you might want to take a windbreaker. You can also wear this at indoor attractions where the air conditioning is often on high. That can also be a helpful item if you plan to take a boat ride since reaching high speeds on the water can make you feel a chill.
In terms of possible weather conditions, you’ll want to bring a light raincoat and umbrella. These items will keep you dry from a light drizzle or a downpour. If you’re in Florida when a hurricane arrives, you’ll want to stay safe inside, so you don’t need to worry about boots or more comprehensive rain gear.
You’ll want to pack sunscreen and bug spray, too. Sunscreen is a must even on cloudy days because UV rays penetrate the clouds. With the humidity, bugs will be running wild in Florida in September. Bringing bug spray can help keep you and your family from getting irritating bites that detract from your enjoyment.
September is a great month to travel to Florida because schools are back in session. Families aren’t traveling as much because summer break is over, and it’s still too early for fall break. If you plan to visit tourist hotspots like Disney World, this is a great time to do it.
Look ahead to see what special events are happening. Some Halloween fun starts in September, so your family can celebrate early. The Epcot International Food and Wine Festival is in September, as well as special film and music festivals.
Always check the weather forecast to ensure you’re packing the best clothing and accessories for your trip. If you see a hurricane in the forecast, contact the airline and hotel for guidance about going on the trip. You want to have a great time on your vacation, so make sure you’re prepared for the Florida weather in September!
More about our TFVG Author
A seasoned traveller, Dad, and avid sports tourist, James foundered The Family Vacation Guide to share his expert vacation experiences- especially when it comes to being a travelling family man.
Featured in Travel articles such as Travel + Leisure, TripSavvy and SFGate, you know you're reading some of the best vacation tips online.